Graduate Program FAQs

Should I send my supporting documents to the Department or to the Admissions Office?

Transcripts should be uploaded directly to your online application. Test scores must be sent directly to the Admissions Office of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and should not be sent to the department. All supporting documents must be uploaded to the application prior to its being submitted. Official test scores must be ordered directly from ETS and sent to code 3451.

What exams do I have to take to apply?

Applicants whose native language is other than English and who do not hold the equivalent of a US Bachelor's degree from an institution at which English is the language of instruction are required to submit TOEFL scores.

Which writing sample should I send with my admissions application?

Candidates should submit only one 15–20 page paper, in 12-point type, double-spaced throughout, and with normal margins. The writing sample must be an example of critical writing (rather than creative writing) on a subject directly related to film, performance and/or visual studies. Applicants should not send longer papers with instructions to read an excerpt or excerpts, but should themselves edit the sample so that they submit only up to 20 pages.

Read more about Which writing sample should I send with my admissions application?

Can I transfer credit from another program to count towards my degree program?

Students entering the Graduate School who have done graduate work elsewhere may apply for transfer of credit at the end of one full term of satisfactory work.

The amount and kind of credit shall be decided by the DGS with the advice and consent of the FVS Graduate Committee, but in no case will it exceed six half-courses (24 credits). The decision will be partially based on the nature of students' work done elsewhere and on their record in their first year at Harvard.